DIVA TAUNIA'S BACKSTAGE PASS

Thursday, April 03, 2008

BLAH, BLAH. MORE NEW ABOUT MY BELLY.

Since this blog isn't devoted totally to my weight loss surgery, but to all things in my life, I feel a bit guilty that this seems to be the only topic that I talk about lately. Perhaps after I get off my meds, eat real food again, and leave the cocoon of my home, I'll have more to talk about.

So here are some things that have changed for me post-surgery. Some AWESOME, some not great, some weird. Ready? Here we go:

GOOD STUFF:

-As of today, I have lost 26.8 lbs. That's right. TWENTY-SIX POINT EIGHT LBS in 1 week and 2 days. Holy mother! I still can't believe it.

-Because of above mentioned weight loss, it is suspected by my doctors that when I go in for my first follow-up appt this Monday on 4/7, I will told that I no longer need to take my blood pressure medication. People! That means that I will no longer be on any of my previous medications that I've taken FOR YEARS! It changes a bit: now I take a multivitamin (thank you, Fred Flintstone!), a calcium supplement that taste like cinnamon and melts in my mouth, a B complex, and an antacid (for now). Mostly vitamins as opposed to my mostly life-saving meds before.

-I have zero acid reflux right now. I was dealing with it a lot in the past 6 months, but now - no symptoms. My throat feels great!

-My clothes (well, let's say pajamas since I've only gotten dressed once since I've been home) are fitting LOTS better now. Some are even loose!

-I only have to take my pain meds at night now**, but during the day, I can pretty much deal with it. It's still there, but much much less now.

-I finally got my puppies back yesterday! :)

WEIRD THINGS:

-I have gotten the hiccups twice in the past two weeks. Both times, I hiccuped three times in a row, then it was gone. POOF!

-My steri-strips are still on my incisions after a week and two days and multiple showers. I also still have two massive bruises on my arms. It's not bothersome at all, I just guessed both would be gone by now. Maybe it's normal, who knows?

BAD THINGS:

-Steal dealing with night pain**. Last night, I tried to be a hero and sleep without any pain meds...and at 3:00am, I woke up in screeching pain. I took the pain meds, went back to bed, and woke up still in pain. I toss and turn a lot during sleep, so I should have known better. But still, OUCH. Go away.

-I get winded pretty easily now. I know that it takes a bit for the diaphragm and abdominal muscles to get back to normal, and since I breathe mostly from my diaphgram, that presents a problem when...uh...walking. I took a very short walk yesterday and was breathing pretty heavy. I think the change in diet takes a little getting used to as well, so I have less energy. All of this should improve over time, just weird getting used to the feeling.

Overall, I'm feeling much more like my sarcastic and cranky self. I'm not having any tolerance issues, and other than occassionally feeling winded and the night pain (sans meds), I feel pretty great - especially seeing the scale drop so drastically.

So there you have it. And update from the coccoon!

Posted by Taunia @ 1:03 PM

Read or Post a Comment

"update from the coccoon!" - lol! This made me laugh! Out Loud, as it turns out... ;)

I love hearing about all the little changes - it's really motivating. I did go for my jog today after we got off the phone, and it felt great! I got back into my rhythm, and it was pretty relaxing.

Looking forward to more little changes on both our ends to share!

Posted by Blogger Carrots, Anyone? @ 4:38 PM #
 

Coo-coo-coccoon! I loved that too. Such fascinating stuff, and this is just the tip of the iceberg. So glad to hear things are going well. I predict you'll be skipping before you know it!

Posted by Blogger Aimee @ 2:08 PM #
 

Almost 27 pounds in just over a week? That's amazing!!

Your post op list looks almost exactly like mine did.

P.S. It took my steri strips more than two weeks to fall off and I had to pull them (even though you aren't supposed to).

Posted by Blogger SignGurl @ 3:55 PM #
 

26.8 pounds?! That's amazing - Gratz!
Again, I cannot thank you enough for the information you post regarding WLS...I am learning so much, and it is really taking a lot of the mystery (and thus fear) out of the process. Thank you!

Tula

Posted by Blogger TulaBean @ 9:41 PM #
 

Aww, thank you so much for the comments! It's nice to know someone reads these, and even nicer to know that they may be helpful to someone. Thanks for your support!

Posted by Blogger Taunia @ 1:49 PM #
 
<< Home