DIVA TAUNIA'S BACKSTAGE PASS

Monday, November 27, 2006

VFP. NYC. BFF.

This was one of the happiest Thanksgiving weekends EVER. There were some minor small unpleasantries, but for the most part I left this weekend one happy gal.

The holiday started on Wednesday night when my high school friends and I got together for our annual "Bowling for Beers" tournament. I still love these guys and we still manage to have a huge amount of fun when we're together. We realized we've been getting together for almost 17 years now! (yes, I graduated in 1990) It's amazing to me how much we've all changed since then, but how goofy and silly we remain with each other despite our new adult lives.

Thursday was Thanksgiving, of course. I had a friend in from out of town and he had dinner with us at my folks house. My mother made a kick-ass dinner! Anyone who knows me most likely knows that my 100% Irish mother is not a good cook - and she'll fully admit that. But after 38 years of making turkey, she finally got it right...and it was DELICIOUS. Rock on, mom.

After that, we took a plate over to my crazy Aunt Evie (Bird and Tire Sale) who was home sick. She was happy we stopped by and happy that she had a heaping plate of food to eat.

We left there to stop over at my friend Kendra's house for some dessert (another annual tradition). Kendra and I grew up down the street from each other and we've been friends since we were 5. Count it: almost 30 years. Jesus. Anyhow, Kendra's place was hoppin' and her folks invited my folks over so we all ended up there eating pie and playing Taboo. Good times!

Friday, I had rehearsal with the boys during the day. After that, I headed out with Chuck (friend from Chicago) , Cynthia, Shah, and Kendra to Cheers on Beacon St. Chuck wanted to go there - do the touristy thing. Was fun, pics on flickr.

From there, we went to The Encore Lounge - a cabaret piano bar in downtown to sing some tunes. I met Aimee - who reads my journal, but I had never met. She showed up with her friend Sandy and they were both very cool chicks. The kind of gals you feel like you've been friends with forever even though you've never met before. (Sorry we had to leave early!) Cynthia got up and sang and wowed the crowd. I was so proud of my girl!

Saturday morning, we left for NYC. We had a gig, and the turnout was a little better than I expected for a holiday weekend. It was the first time Dan had come with us to NYC and somewhere on the ride up, he and Ben bonded and decided that they were "BFF FOREVER!" That was the joke the whole weekend, so I created this for them:

Which, of course, totally cracks my shit up.

After the gig, a big group of us (me, Dan, Ben, Shah & Brian, their friend John, my friend Monica and Eric) went out for Thai food and then decided we should go to a piano bar. I suggested Don't Tell Mama's - a place I loved when I lived in NYC.

When we got there, there was a wait to get in, but we FINALLY got a table. Dan and I both sang, and let me state for the record that I want to ALWAYS be singing at DTM. They LOVED us. People were asking for our info, hooting and hollering - we felt like mini-celebrities. There was much adoration in that room and I have to admit, we tore the walls off that place. (I know, I know -cocky! But we DID both sing really well!)

I had a teacher in college who talked about these small magical moments that happen that just about knock you over when you're in them. I had one of those. I sang New York State of Mind, and I don't think I've ever sung anything that well in my entire life. It was 3:00am and something magical happened with that song and that pianist (Bobby). I wish I could relive it over again. The best part is that when I got back to the table, Ben was standing up screaming, "That's MY friend!! I hang out with her!!" Which cracked me up and also made me feel really loved. There's always tough moments in performing that you want to forget, so it was a really great moment for me to keep in my memory as well.

Almost everone went home earlier in the evening, but I stayed until the 4:00am close with Ben and Dan. Afterwards, we went to a little diner and got some disgustingly greasy food and then I didn't get back to the hotel and in bed until 5:30am. (Note about the hotel: I LOVE Priceline! We got these hotel rooms for $75 each and it was SWANK!) At 8:00am, my phone rang and it was Ben telling me to get up and get ready to go. I don't remember anything else about the conversation.



The ride home was me, Ben, and Dan and I joked that there was much man-love between them. It makes me really happy to see how well they've hit it off as friends. As a group, we just really click both musically and personality-wise. I can't remember a single time there's been a horrible gig or a tense moment. And this is what it's about, you know? Enjoying the ride and making great music. I'm happy, lucky, and thankful to have them as friends and musical cohorts.

If you're interested in seeing pics from the weekend, they're here.

I hope you and yours had a wonderful Thanksgiving...and have a great holiday season!

Labels: , ,

Posted by Taunia @ 1:38 PM

Read or Post a Comment

DUDE! I love the pics - particularly the "cynthia and spam" one...nice, spam...I mean paunia... ;)

Posted by Blogger Carrots, Anyone? @ 7:21 PM #
 

Wow, what a popular girl! And what a great weekend! Congrats on your NY moment -- that just warms my heart.

Sandy and I really enjoyed meeting you and look forward to seeing you again real soon!

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 8:47 PM #
 
<< Home