DIVA TAUNIA'S BACKSTAGE PASS

Monday, November 13, 2006

SO I'M GOING A *LITTLE* OVERBOARD

I've gotta say, I really, really like this one. So much that I'm keeping it for myself. (Much like my regular holiday shopping: one for ME, one for YOU...)

This was actually a print that I bought at Target that I didn't really care for anymore. Since I ran out of canvas, I decided to paint right over this. It was white with giant black polka dots, so I brought out the black and got all goth on that shit! It took THREE coats of black paint to cover up the old print!! And I am not a patient woman, and I had to sit around and wait for one coat at a time to dry. Gah!

Here's a bigger sample of it - so you can see the red dots, which I really like. This is hanging up on the brick with one of the track lights focused on it and the gold really shines - I'm so happy with it!

For those of you who are reading that may not know me, PLEASE don't think I'm all full of myself here. I mean, my painting skills are SORELY lacking! I've been doing a lot of it with the hope of getting better, and I finally did one that I actually am proud to hang on my wall! Practice may not make perfect, but it makes me happy enough to hang it up without shame. Well, who am I kidding - I have no shame anyhow. That's proven by the many other paintings that I did that are also hanging up. lol

I wish that canvas' came with the frames already attached like my Target painting. Maybe I'll need to scour the Target and Walmart shelves for clearance items!

Posted by Taunia @ 8:41 AM

Read or Post a Comment

This piece is fabulous! It looks lacey/leafy/all around artful, and I love the frame. Sometimes the best project are ones you just *have* to do.

Few other random thoughts:
- Love the new 'do -- I'm looking for a new hairdresser and if it weren't so far from Boston, I'd try your new place.
- I'm also a "one for you, one for me" kind of shopper, but I've been known to take it as far as "one for you, two for me..." and that just doesn't feel right. I'm hoping to maintain at least a hint of shopping decorum this year.
- I notice you're listening to Shawn Colvin. I won tix to see her last Friday night and then wasn't able to go. Had no clue who else might be into her, but now I know! Too bad I didn't realize sooner.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 12:55 PM #
 

Uggg, ugly. Stick with tech support.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 1:16 PM #
 

Aww, anonymous...come on now, you're my boss, aren't you?!

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. Painting is just a hobby for me. And as far as hobbies go, it's probably a nicer one than trolling blogs and posting nasty comments while hiding behind anonymity, don't you think?

Aimee - if you're ever in the Lowell area, let me know. We'll go see my girl Regina and have her work her magic!

Posted by Blogger Taunia @ 1:50 PM #
 

wow, this one's great, taun! who are these anon dorks posting to your journal?!

cyn

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 2:38 PM #
 

False modesty seems to be your hobby, too.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 2:58 PM #
 

Not false modesty - just realistic. And for someone being cowardly and making remarks behind anonymity, I'd say that you're probably the last person who should remark on negative behaviors.

And please don't think I don't know who this is. Being a tech geek allows me to track you and your identity via IP address. So, Miss Coward judgemental bitch, take your negativity elsewhere.

You're entitled to your opinion about my artwork, but not about my character - so beat it.

Posted by Blogger Taunia @ 3:26 PM #
 

I don't have a Blogger account, and you don't know me, so what difference would it make if you knew my name?

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 4:00 PM #
 

Really? I mean REALLY? You want to have this out here?

And if makes no difference, if I know your name or not, then stop being a coward and post publicly.

Yeah, I thought so.

Posted by Blogger Taunia @ 4:26 PM #
 

Thanks for the invite. I'll let you know if I get up that way.

Meant to tell you I'm doing more ho-ho-homemade gifts this year too. Got some great ideas from Martha Stewart's mag Holiday: Handmade Gifts. Definitely some good food for thought!

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 8:22 PM #
 

I think homemade gifts are a great idea (and hopefully the gift receivers will think so too - lol).

I'm doing paintings and I'm recording a short 5 song CD of holiday tunes just for friends and family. I may make this cracker-candy that my friend Shah loves too. It's easy and SO yummy - but basically all sugar and butter.

What are the Martha things you're making? Maybe we should start a business! lol

Posted by Blogger Taunia @ 10:04 PM #
 

How cool! Recording my own CD wouldn't be much of a gift to anyone, so instead I think I'll go with fringed wool scarves (ultra easy once I find the fabric -- see pg 64 if you encounter the mag), limoncello, and I think I might try making an assortment of chocolate truffles.

So many of my friends think I should be doing things like this more seriously, but I've yet to hit on an idea that feels strong enough to really go with.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 6:26 AM #
 
<< Home