DIVA TAUNIA'S BACKSTAGE PASS

Thursday, October 26, 2006

BEAUTY SHOP DROPOUT

I used to go to a salon in Burlington and my guy was JM. JM was a kooky queen: obsessed with celebrities and gossip, but the absolute WORST DRESSED gay man I have ever met. Example: khahi's with hi-top, unlaced sneakers and an untucked polo shirt. Good lord.

JM found out I was a singer and then decided that he needed to give me all the ins and outs of the business because HE KNEW. He frequently told me that he was offered a record contract but he turned it down because they wanted a percentage of his writing and "Honey, I've got TONS of people who want my writing. I don't need their contract." Uh. Huh. Then he sang for me. Yikes. Bad.

I could deal with that. What I couldn't deal with was the fact that he rarely listened to me about what I wanted and then began making comments about my weight. The last time I was there, I told him I was thinking about going a bit shorter in a bob and he said, "No. You'll have to lose some weight first. Your face is too big." Ok, uh...how about you FUCK OFF?!? That was back in May and I haven't seen him since.

Needless to say, I haven't cut my hair since then. In fact, I've been trying to grow my hair back in from that last hack job he gave me. It's growing in nicely, albeit a bit unevenly, and I've recently come to grips with the fact that I need a new stylist. And preferably a place that does brows too - something I've never had done, but am sorely in need of.

So, when I was walking Julip around the block tonight, I realized this cute and trendy salon was RIGHT OUTSIDE MY DOOR! I decided to check them out online and not only do they offer some very cool things, but they are CHEAP! Check them out by clicking on the photo below. I may even *gasp* get a PEDICURE!***



***Anyone who knows me knows that I HATE feet - and in particular, MY FEET. I don't like people looking at or touching them. But sweet jesus, they need some help!

Posted by Taunia @ 7:43 PM

Read or Post a Comment

Let me know how you make out there. I still don't have a stylist here and that's as cheap as anyplace that I've gone here. Plus, driving to Lowell is much less time than driving to Canada (where I've gotten my last two haircuts).

If we could book on a Saturday morning, we could have a spa day together. :-)

J

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 5:55 AM #
 

Oh yay! That would be fun! I could seriously use a facial. Hell, I need some work EVERYWHERE. I'll probably book a trim/cut for this week, so I'll let you know how it goes. If I'm happy with it, we can schedule a Saturday there - maybe for the holidays so we can look glam and all. :)

Posted by Blogger Taunia @ 9:47 AM #
 

You let him get away with saying that to you? Someone needs to learn to stick for for herself!

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 11:49 AM #
 

Ah, but I didn't let him get away with it. I took my business elsewhere. Saying something would have done no good. People that are that clueless and rude never GET IT that they're clueless and rude. What would have been the point other than us arguing embarassingly in the salon?

Believe me, I am NOT a wallflower. If the situation calls for it, I'll give you an earful. I don't care anything about this guy. If I did, we would have had words...but he's not worth my time. I just choose my battles. :)

Posted by Blogger Taunia @ 11:58 AM #
 

You let someone insult you to your face, and you said nothing because it might be embarrassing? You could have made sure he knew that wasn't ok without making a scene. Saying nothing but taking your business elsewhere IS what wallflowers do. Just don't want to see you insulted like that!

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 7:57 AM #
 

NO, that's what people who think about the situation do. I'm not a wallflower. Believe me.

Saying ANYTHING to him would have been absolutely pointless. He's the type of person who would have reacted in a hissy-fit defensive way, not actually acknowledging what he said was wrong. And I would have been standing in the salon - surrounded by HIS peers - making a scene for absolutely no positive outcome on my behalf.

I've dealt with people who take no responsibility for their actions before. These are the types of people that no matter how you approach them or what you say to them - they absolutely refuse to take responsibility for their behaviors.

What's the point then? Should I purposely get into an embarassing situation just to say that I said something? Without actually having something positive come from that? It has nothing to do with me being too scared to say something. It has everything to do with me knowing how that situation would have ended and making a conscious decision to choose my battle.

To this day, he asks my friend Kendra where I've been and if I'm coming back (she still goes to him). I think that speaks volumes more than a little hissy fit between us in the salon.

Posted by Blogger Taunia @ 5:33 AM #
 
<< Home