DIVA TAUNIA'S BACKSTAGE PASS

Sunday, September 24, 2006

JOURNEY!

Last night, Ben and I went to see one of my all-time favorite bands, Journey. I know a lot of people think they're a girly band, and maybe be they are, but both Ben and I love their music. Sometimes the lyrics are cheesy, but they write some solid pop music! And they've been going strong since 1975, and considering they haven't been on the radio with anything new in a while, that's a pretty good testiment to their old stuff.

First, the place was absolutely PACKED. They were doing a split bill with Def Leppard. I fully expected that place to be full of skanky women around my age that were stuck in the 80s. Instead, there was a HUGE span of ages there, and quite a few teenagers and young kids in their 20s. I was really surprised by that, because the tickets were NOT cheap.

The thing that was great is that EVERYONE was singing along and having a great time. There were no obnoxious folks, lots of couples kissing and hugging, (loving, touching, squeezing) and the vibe there was really positive and fun. The music was OUTSTANDING. I mean, these guys have been playing forever, you so expect it to be tight, but not THAT tight. The new singer was fantastic and you know he just LOVES being a rock and roll star. He's SO into it, and he's fun to watch.

The thing that I realized, though, is that I've become a bit of a music snob. I've grown so accustomed to listening to jazz and going to shows that really are "listening" rooms, that I forgot how much FUN a big, sold-out concert can be. Ben and I were dancing and singing along, and we had a really good time. Especially when they played "Seperate Ways," which is our favorite song.

I mean really, can you beat a rockin' 80s opening synth line? I think not!

Posted by Taunia @ 2:56 PM

Read or Post a Comment

i love me some Journey. King of the mullets in the lead singer, neil schon is one of the best guitarists alive... they're definately underrated. love how there was a real range of ages there.

how was def lepard? did they rock? is their one armed drummer still with them? do tell!

Posted by Blogger Christine G. @ 5:33 AM #
 

I think they're really underrated too! Their music really has stood the test of time. I don't know about Def Leppard, though. They were on second and neither of us really liked them, so we took off right after Journey was done. They didn't play "Wheel in the Sky," though. I love that tune!

I forgot about the one arm guy. God bless him, huh?? Shows you real passion in people!

Posted by Blogger Taunia @ 6:46 PM #
 

yeah -- i think that if you watch vh1's "behind the music" you get all the def lepard you really need for the rest of your life, with the wicked cool arm story.

Posted by Blogger Christine G. @ 5:21 PM #
 
<< Home