DIVA TAUNIA'S BACKSTAGE PASS

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

ONE HELLA MONTH

July. Holy Crap.

So much went on this month, so let me try to recap:

HOSPITAL:

About 5 days before I was scheduled to leave for Florida, I had a pretty big scare. I'll spare you all the major details, but suffice it to say I had to have an emergency trip to the hospital for an exam that I never want to have again and some blood tests. Before I even got home, the doctor's office called and said that they scheduled an emergency colonoscopy for me on Friday, July 14th at 2:00pm. There are so many things wrong with that:

1. I'm 34. I shouldn't have to get a colonoscopy for at least another 6 years.
2. My plane & my entire family were leaving for Florida that same day @ 12:00.
3. WHAT THE HELL?!!?

I called the doctor's office back and they said that they "very strongly urged me" to cancel my trip and keep the colonoscopy appt. I called two more times to make sure that I ABSOLUTELY had to be there, and they assured me that I did.

I was not feeling well and my body was doing things it absolutely should not have been - including lots of dizzy spells - so I agreed it was best for me to stay. I decided to get the colonoscopy and leave for Florida on Saturday morning. Suzanne, being the amazing best friend she is, FLEW BACK FROM MARYLAND and picked me up at the hospital and flew out from Boston to Orlando with me the next day.

The colonoscopy was much less scary than I thought it would be. The worst part was drinking the gallon of stuff they give you the day before...which tastes just like drinking a gallon of sea-water. Nastiest stuff ever. They didn't find any large masses, but did find some polyps which they had to remove and send to pathology for a biopsy. I'm just waiting to hear back on that now, but they seem to think that whatever it is is not life-threatening. I'm just pissed that I missed a day of my trip. My body has some shitty timing. I probably could have reworded that, huh?

FLORIDA:

Florida was fun, albeit HOT AS HELL. It was about 100 degrees every day and it was NOT a dry heat. When I got home, I weighed myself to find that I had lost 6 lbs from walking and sweating my ass off. Yay, Florida!

We had a small family reunion there, but mostly I just hung out with Suzanne and my neice Litah. We went to Animal Kingdom, MGM, and Epcot (which I love). The largest amount of time was spent hanging out by the pool and relaxing - which made my vacation oh so enjoyable.

WEDDING:

I got home and just a few days later - Shah got married! Shah's wedding the the funnest wedding I have EVER been to! I don't know if it was because the whole gang was there, because there were a ton of gay men, or because EVERYONE was dancing, but I had the best time I have ever had at a wedding there.

I was the Maid of Honor and I also sang a song in the ceremony for them. I also got through my first-ever toast, which was short and sweet, but I think went over well:

I've known Shah for 15 years. We met back in college when we both were in marching band - which I know is difficult to believe considering how extraordinarily cool we both are.

One of my first vivid memories of Shah is when the marching band had a costume party for Halloween. Everyone was already there and then Shah made a grand entrance. The doors flung open, and in comes Shah in a full-length, spandex blue body leotard with a gold lame' wig and pom-poms. And I don't know how this is possible, but I had NO IDEA he was gay back then.

But on a more serious note, today is not only a day in your history, but in our history as a community. I feel honored and privelaged that you invited me to be a part of it.

So, please raise your glasses while I toast: to all the love, all the happiness, and all the karaoke the two of you can find. Congratulations!




You can see a slideshow of the wedding and Florida photos HERE or by clicking the flickr button down below on the left.

So, July had it's downs and then it's ups. Bring on August, baby!

Posted by Taunia @ 3:06 PM