DIVA TAUNIA'S BACKSTAGE PASS

Saturday, May 13, 2006

HOME & DRAG REVIEW

My dad came home from the hospital on Friday, and he couldn't be happier. It's really remarkable how quickly he's recovering. Although he's not completely steady on his feet, he's able to get around a bit now with the cane. I mean, he's walking. The dude BROKE HIS BACK and he's walking around. My dad is fucking amazing. It's going to be at least another few months before he makes a full recovery, but I'm so glad he is getting back on his feet so much quicker than anyone expected. He still has to be on mostly bedrest and there's physical therapy person and a visiting nurse that will be coming to the house three times a week, but he's home. Yay!

The one good thing that might come out of this is that he may end up being somewhat forced into pursuing his dream of opening a doggy day care. He's seriously looking into it now and realizes that this is the time to do it if he's going to do it at all. It will be much safer for him, obviously, but more importantly it will be something he loves. My dad's love for dogs borders on obsession. I told him that I want to be involved and run the business with him. We'll see. I'm glad he's seriously pursuing it.

___________________________

This is long overdue, but now I have to completely brag about my dear friend Susan!



A while back, I auditioned to be in a drag show playing the role of a "Starlet," which was one of the two roles playing the "conscience" of the fabulous Miss Nichole Pride. Right after auditioning and getting the role, I found out that I had a possible conflict that weekend and didn't feel right about staying on without knowing if I could truly commit to the dates. Instead, I recommended my friend Susan for the role. She auditioned, blew them away, and got the part.

I stayed on as in a vocal coach role, but was so happy Sue was going to be doing this. She's truly one of the most amazingly talented people I've ever met, and most things artistic come to her pretty naturally. She's a fantastic cook, she's a natural jazz singer and has phrasing and swing that took me YEARS to perfect (damn her! lol), and little did I know...she's also an amazing stage presence and actress.

Neither of us knew it, but the schedule for this show was pretty grueling. She'd go to work, eat on the subway, and then rehearse until almost midnight for about three weeks straight before the show. The girl barely slept! Her husband Habib made her swear that she wouldn't take on another role like this for 1000 days. lol

The show was absolutely NOT what I expected. Rather than the usual drag show with lots of laughs, lip-synching and out-landish costumes, this was much more of a drama. It was written by Tom (aka Miss Nichole Pride) and it was about his life and the discrimination he faces WITHIN the gay community for being a drag queen, gay, and black. There were at least three moments that brought me to tears in the show, but there were also some funny, uplifting, and intense moments. It was so well done, with a bare minimum set...and Susan was a big part of that.

I couldn't believe what an amazing actress she is. Her presence up onstage is huge, and people just immediately take to her and love her. She's fearless, she really is. She's the kind of artist who just bares it all for you - all the while being humble and almost unsure of the amount of talent she has. I can't say enough, she really just blew me away and I could not be prouder of her.

For a few more pictures, click here:

PHOTOS OF THE SHOW ON FLICKR!

So now, I must attend to the 6 million pieces of clothing I have sitting here waiting to go up on ebay. Have a good weekend!

Posted by Taunia @ 6:21 PM