DIVA TAUNIA'S BACKSTAGE PASS

Thursday, April 06, 2006

OLD DUDES AND THE WOMEN THAT LOVE THEM


Last Wednesday, I took my crazy Aunt Evie to see Englebert Humperdinck, which was my Christmas gift to her. Nothing with her is simple, it's always a pain in the ass, but I love her. I was in full-blown sickness with a fever, but I managed to cart my ass to Wilmington to pick her up, take her to dinner, to the show, drive her back home, then drive ME back home and collapse in bed. It was very worth it, though. She was in love through the entire show - clutching the program book she bought while peering through her binoculars and singing along to every song. It made her very, very happy, so I am glad I didn't suck out and call my mom to take her (like I had very much wanted to).

I'll be honest, my knickers were not in a twist in anticipation of Englebert. In fact, I was kind of dreading it. I thought it would be a cheesy and boring show. Of course, that was the music snob in me, and Englebert proved me wrong. How could he not? He's been doing this for like FIFTY YEARS! The dude is just about 70 years old and he's in AMAZING shape and pretty damn sexy for an old dude. (Layoff the Anna-Nicole old-jokes, bitches!) His voice is PHENOMENAL. Seriously! A big ol' polished voice with none of the old-guy raspiness you'd expect. He told funny jokes and made sexual innuendos and sang his ass off with a KICK-ASS BAND. Such a great show, I'd definitely go see him again. I am now a huge Englebert fan. Anyone who can put on that kind of entertaining show AND be around in this business for 50 years gets a hats-off from me!

And in more OLD GUY news....

Bob came back from Florida. He's been there for three months. His sister has a condo in Florida and during the hurricane in the fall, it got a lot of roof damage. He went down there and fixed it up and then sold it for her. And, of course, hung out with the old peeps down in Sarasota.

He came over and stayed a few days with me. He's all tan, or as Billy Crystal would say "a leather bag with eyes." Still, he's my old man, and I love him:



When I'm with him, I never really notice the age difference, but in this pic it's pretty clear. lol Still, it never has mattered to me. I know a lot of folks (maybe even you) think I'm crazy for staying with him, but sometimes you're blind to a lot of things or just really forgiving when you love someone. Either that or stupid. I'm probably a little of both.

Anyhow, it's a gorgeous day out there! Stop reading my drivel and get yourself outside!! Happy Spring! Go on out and love an old man today!

Posted by Taunia @ 12:35 PM

Read or Post a Comment

yippee!!!!...a face with the name, finally!!!......he is not AT ALL what i expected him to look like...except for one quality i knew he would HAVE TO possess to besmittify the divalicious likes of you - he is devilishly attractive, m'dear...cain't hahdly wait to meet 'im!
and in other news - had a very productive rehearsal the other night, but we could seriously use your vocal coaching abilities front and center!...lerve and hurgs, -s.k.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 7:51 AM #
 

hmmm. i don't judge him because of his age honey. I judge him because he has stomped on your heart.and then he kicked it. and stomped on it some more.

the heart, she sees what she wants.

xo
cg

Posted by Blogger Christine G. @ 2:09 PM #
 

Tis true, he has been not very kind at times. I guess that's what I meant by being part-stupid. :) But he tries.

Posted by Blogger Taunia @ 2:50 PM #
 

i have met Bob a couple of times, and i must say (in agreement with "anonymous"), i don't remember him looking pretty devilishly handsome! reminds me of that guy from Jaws, whats-his-name. the chief...you know who i'm talking about. oh yeah...Chief Brody! ;-)

XOXOXO - SSS

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 4:01 PM #
 

From the outside, with all due respect, he sounds like BAD news

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 9:11 AM #
 

oh, i KNOWS you knows man's got issues cuz yooz one smart lady for real!...and if i know my girl you gotcha eyes as wide open as yer heart!

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 10:32 AM #
 

psst: on the subject of issues, i thought you'd totally be able to relate to the drag queen quote of the day. made me bellylaugh when i heard it!

"Yeah, she looks pretty. Too bad about her rotting, fetid demon soul. 'Cause girl, ain't no stage wig big enough to hide that wicked b*tch."

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 11:09 AM #
 

LOL! Sue, you're a nut!
Shah, I think you're right. If Bob's hair was dark, he'd definitely look like Roy Shieder from Jaws!

As far as him being BAD NEWS: Everyone has baggage, and everyone deals with it in different ways.
Unfortunately, I did a lot of bitching about him early-on in our relationship in the old journals. The thing I didn't do a lot of was talk about the good things about him. Sure, he's difficult, he's curmudgeonly, he's a pain in the ass. But you know what? So am I sometimes. We choose what we can deal with and what we can't, and weigh the good and the bad. He has a good heart, he does, and I see it. But essentially, it comes down to it being MY choice, and I choose to love him.

Posted by Blogger Taunia @ 3:57 PM #
 

Hey T. I love what you wrote about your relationship. Sage wisdom from a wise gal. Cha to your choice, hon. I have heard you speak of the good things about Bob and what the relationship provides you, so I applaud your having made an educated and thoughtful choice - as only you can.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 6:44 AM #
 
<< Home