DIVA TAUNIA'S BACKSTAGE PASS

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

MY DAD'S ALL BEAT UP

My dad has been a master carpenter for over 30 years now, and he's never had one serious accident - until yesterday.

He and his crew guy Al have been doing some renovations on the house here. They had some scaffolding up over the stairs that lead to the basement level and were hanging sheet rocks. The scaffolding went out from under him, and he fell about 10 ft onto his back on the top stair. He broke 5 ribs on his left side, completely smashed up and broke his left wrist, got a huge gash in his left leg, and broke his back in several small places.

This all happened just outside my office door while I was home, and it was the scariest shit I have ever been through.

Anyone who knows me knows that I am the WORST person to have in a time of crisis. I cannot keep my shit together, and I end up making things worse. But somehow, miraculously, I was able to pull my shit together. I called the ambulance and we rushed him over to Lowell General. They've done about 500 xrays, cat scans, and MRIs on him - the poor kept having to get lifted and moved and hurt over and over again.

He's in SO much pain right now, it's almost unbearable to watch. He can barely move and he's on a morphine drip, so he's in and out of conciousness. It's just overwhelming to see my big, burly tough-guy dad so helpless and in so much pain. I was at the hospital all day yesterday and today, and we're taking turns staying overnight with him. He needs one of us there because the morphine makes him really thirsty all the time and he needs to continously do breathing treatments to make sure his lung doesn't collapse - and he can't do any of that on his own. The nursing staff is wonderful, but desperately understaffed, so he doesn't get nearly enough attention without one of us there. So, tomorrow night is my overnight.

If any of you pray, I'd appreciate it if you could say one for my dad. If not, just throw some good thoughts and karma out there for him, ok? He's got a long recovery ahead of him, and he's not completely out of the water yet, so he could use as much positive vibe as you can throw out there. Thanks.

Posted by Taunia @ 3:26 PM

Read or Post a Comment

consider him prayed for all day today. wishing healing for the chetster. wishing calm for you and mamma. wishing guidance to the hands of the healers.

keep us posted.

x0
cg

Posted by Blogger Christine G. @ 4:24 AM #
 
<< Home