DIVA TAUNIA'S BACKSTAGE PASS

Saturday, April 08, 2006

JONATHA BROOKE LIVE!


Last night, my brother and I went to see Jonatha Brooke at Tupelo Music Hall in Londonderry, NH. This was his birthday gift to me - and I couldn't have asked for a better gift!

I've been a fan of Jonatha's for a while now, but I've never seen her live. I am so used to her recorded music that I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew she'd be doing a solo singer-songwriter show, and I was interested to hear the music in such a raw way.

She came out and even though she was wearing just a plain black shirt and jeans,she looked like a total rock star. Gorgeous blonde hair, and lots of eye makeup. And she's SO SKINNY! She's much more beautiful in person.

And the music - gah. Her songwriting is so strong and SO beautiful and moving. Half her songs make me well-up in tears. She's crazy-talented. She mostly played guitar, but used a lot of cool pedal effects and also used a drum loop while she played piano. I wish I could get inside her head and steal her lyrics, I really do.

She was also much funnier than I expected. Her songs are often intense and I guess I just didn't expect her to be so lighthearted and happy. She made everyone feel like she was singing right to them, and when she smiled, you couldn't help but smile back. She's completely engaging in song and just when she's talking.

After the show, I went up and introduced myself because I had sung a cover of hers back on the All About Buford Supercar disc. She immediately knew who I was and was so open with me. I introduced my brother and she said her brother's name was Derek too. I told her it meant we were destined to be friends and she laughed. Then we took this picture.

I just liked her so much. I mean, I LOVE her music and I LOVE her as a musician, but she also made me want to be her friend too. If you ever get a chance to see her live, GO!!

Posted by Taunia @ 3:38 PM