DIVA TAUNIA'S BACKSTAGE PASS

Monday, March 13, 2006

KARAOKE WHORE

I have a new addiction, and I am ashamed. It's karaoke, and I can't get enough:



I'm on there singing shit that I would never be caught dead singing in public: Mariah Carey! Mr. Mister! Doris Day! It's amazing what kind of cheesiness anonymity allows you. I also love the kitchiness of the site: the graphics they have displayed while you're singing are TERRIBLE. There's a giant EEL that shows up half the time. What the HELL is that about???

One of the things I love about it, though, is that my students have recorded a few things and gotten some great feedback from people. It's a decent way to introduce them to recording (albeit, low-quality) and let them get some feedback from someone other than me. You'll also hear Shah on one of my tracks, my sister Megan, my neice Litah, hell...anyone who wanted to step up to the mic!

The other thing that I like about the site is that all of the jazz-standard tunes I wanted to sing are in a key that's out of the norm for me. Because of that, it's been forcing me to use the higher part of my range that I've been ignoring for so long. I've got a fairly large range, and for a long time I've only really been utilizing the lower end of it. It's kind of nice to experiment for fun and work with my voice in a MUCH different way.

I've also gotten some other people to sign up! Check out my peeps:

ME
MY DAD
MY BROTHER DEREK
SHAH


And someone else who's a kick-ass singer:


CHUCK

I know you'll want to try it too. Don't be embarassed. Embrace the cheesy karaoke. EMBRACE THE KARAOKE WHORE IN YOU!

Posted by Taunia @ 9:10 AM