DIVA TAUNIA'S BACKSTAGE PASS

Sunday, January 01, 2006

NEW YEAR, NEW BLOG, NEW RECIPE

I know what you're thinking: "Bitch, find a blog and STAY there!" Maybe it's a fear of commitment, maybe it's boredom, or maybe it's just that no one was talking to me on Friendster. People who weren't members of Friendster couldn't post comments, so I figured I'd wander back over here so folks could say hi again. There were tumbleweeds in bloggerville for a while, so don't be a stranger. Say hello every once in a while and make a diva happy, eh?

The holidaze were groovy. Christmas was quite with the family and I found a new game addiction:



If you're an 80s trivia nut like me, you'll love this shit. You have to know trivia, quotes, be able to sing songs, act things out, and draw. Now that I think of it, it's a lot like the game Cranium, but all useless 80s stuff. Awesome.

Over the holiday week, I went on vacation to Rhode Island (and Foxwoods!)- which was a two hour drive. I brought along some Dane Cook with me. If you don't know who he is, you will. He's a comedian and he's hilarious. And I'm in love with him. Any boy that can make me laugh that hard wins a special place in my heart. If you go to his website, you can hear his clips or watch his tv appearances. But remember: he is now betrothed to me, because I said so.

For New Year's Eve, we threw a bash at our house which was attended by many of my old college friends. Good times were had by all. You can see some photos BY CLICKING HERE.

We had WAY too much good food, and I decided to make my friend Laurie's famous "Cowboy Beans." I don't like baked beans, but I LOVE these. They're spicy and sweet and so incredibly fattening, that I feel I must share the recipe with you all so you can savor them yourselves. Be warned: you'll need to work out for three hours a day for the next month, but the beans are worth it. They were a big hit at the party:

LAURIE'S FAMOUS COWBOY BEANS:

(1) LB bacon (yes. that's a whole fucking package of bacon!)
(2) medium yellow onions - chopped small
(2-3) plump garlic cloves (I used 2-3 tbls of jarred garlic - works fine)
(3) 28 oz cans of B&M baked beans (I used the bacon(!) and onion flavor)
(1.5) cups of Heinz 57 Chili sauce
(1/3) cup of Worcestershire sauce (thank god for spellcheck!)
(1/4) cup of yellow mustard (I used Nance's Sharp & Creamy for extra kick)
(1.5) tblsp of dried basil
(1.5) tblsp of dried oregano
(2-3) dried red chilis - chopped extremely fine (most important ingredient!)
(2) tblsp of ground cumin seeds
(1/2) cup of dark brown sugar

Directions:

1. Cut bacon into quarters. Separate and saute' in a pan, browning slightly but still limp. When finished, place in crock pot or large covered pot.
2. Saute' onions and garlic until onions are clear. Add to pot.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot and stir.
4. Cook on low for the entire day. Minimum to let them cook: 4-5 hours. I cooked mine for 6.5 and they were perfect.

Makes enough for 6-8 people and these keep well in the fridge for a while.

So go ahead, cook em up. These cowboy beans will start your 2006 off in a rootin' tootin' good way! Happy New Year!

Posted by Taunia @ 9:17 AM

Read or Post a Comment

Sounds like you guys had a great New Years! The game looks like lots of fun and the beans look like a great recipe. I will have to give them a try. :-)

Happy New Year!

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 6:52 AM #
 

Thanks! We did have a good time...hope you did too! Definitely try the beans. It makes a ginormous amount, so you could always split that recipe in half. Unless you want to eat beans for a week. :)
Happy New Year to you too!

Posted by Blogger Taunia @ 7:08 AM #
 
<< Home