DIVA TAUNIA'S BACKSTAGE PASS

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

MY PAL NEB

Some people I know are lousy gift givers. They forget the gesture and meaning behind giving a gift and get something out of obligation rather than affection. I try *really* hard to be creative and thoughtful in my gift-giving, but there's someone who outdoes me: Ben.

Most of you who know me know that Ben is in my band and that he's also one of my best friends. I'm a few years - ok, almost 10 - years older than him, so it's somewhat of an unlikely friendship. Yet, he fills in for me when a date is needed (weddings, etc), loves all the stuff I do (ballroom dancing, poker, music), and always cracks my shit up. He's a great guy all around.

But the past few gift-giving events have reminded me how thoughtful he is too. For Christmas, he got me 1) a hardcover Scrabble dictionary to appeal to my Scrabble addiction, 2) a set of coasters with pool balls on them (to use in the "party room" with our pool table) and 3) a martini shaker with clubs, diamonds, and stuff on it for our poker nights. Really, really thoughtful and personal gifts that I really appreciated.

Fast forward to this past Sunday at our rehearsal. Ben told us that he wrote a song for his sister Caroline for Christmas. He played it and I almost cried. It was one of the sweetest things I've ever heard. Funny, touching and a really catchy melody/hook too. I think Caroline summed it up best:

In true Ben fashion, the song starts:
the day that we met, i didn't like you very much
i wanted a pet, not someone who whimpered at my touch.
but they wouldn't take you back, despite my desperate plea

But then it got *really* touching... So I will leave you with the last line of the song, while I privately gush, and forever treasure this song in my heart, as it was written by the one person in the world whom I have always, and will always, worship.

no one else i can find
can ever compare to caroline.


What an amazing relationship they have. And what an amazing gift to give to someone. Talk about touching and thoughtful!

Later in the rehearsal, we were recording some stuff and I was walking around the living room and noticed a picture of me and Ben from my cousin's wedding. Then I realized there were about 10 others of the same picture! When I picked one up, I realized it was a deck of playing cards:




He had forgotten to put them away and reluctantly had to tell me that he had them made for my birthday (which is more than a month away!). Even though it's a funny gift, and we'll definitely be made fun of when we play with these, it's one of the most thoughtful gifts anyone has ever given me. He told me I could take them then, but I said for him to keep them until my birthday and I'd act surprised.

But you know, I'm not surprised. Ben's just great like that. Funny, thoughtful, and caring. Ben, I know you're reading this and it's gooshy and mushy, but too bad suckah! Thanks for making me feel special. You're a true friend.

Posted by Taunia @ 10:09 AM