DIVA TAUNIA'S BACKSTAGE PASS

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

CHAPSTICK AND CHICKEN CURRY

My dog Julip has an obsession with Chapstick. The first time she chowed down on one, I thought it was just because it fell on the floor and she chews anything that falls on the floor. Then I realize that she was searching them out. One time, I hid one in my jewelery box just above my bed. She lifted the top up and took it out and then had herself a Chapsticky treat. Just yesterday, I left my purse open on my desk and she went into my purse and took out the Chapstick.

It's totally bizarre and like crack for her...she just can't control herself and has to eat it. The bad part is that I've spent a ton of dough replacing all of them. She needs some intervention.

But tonight I had something much tastier than Chapstick: homemade spicy chicken curry. As some of you know, I'm back on Weight Watchers and I'm cooking EVERYTHING now. This was SUPER easy to make and after three of us had it, we concluded that this is a winning recipe. Something I found on the internet, but I changed it up a bit. And for those of you on the WW, it's low-point, baby!

Diva Taunia's Superstar Chicken Curry:

This makes approx 6 servings, so adjust as necessary. Also, don't be put off by the amount of ingredients. Almost everything is in one big pan (I use a wok). Super easy to make and from start to finish is about 30 mins.

You'll Need:

2 tblsp of oil (I use olive)
1.5 cups chopped onions
3 lg tblsp of chopped garlic (I just use the jarred stuff)
2 large potatoes
2 lbs of boneless chicken tenders - cut into cubelike pieces
3 large tblsp ginger paste OR fresh ginger
8 tlbsp of hot curry powder (more or less to your taste...I like things HOT!)
3 tlbsp of tomato paste
3-4 tlbsp of mango chutney (or any sweet fruit flavor or preserves)
3 tlbsp of lemon juice
1/2 cup of nonfat plain yogurt
2 cups water
1 tblsp of salt
1 tblsp of pepper

For extra spiciness, I added: 2 tblsp of cayenne pepper and 2 tblsp of chili powder.

Directions:

1) Chop up potatoes into small chunks and boil in a separate pot.
2) In your main cooking pan/wok, fry the onions and garlic in the oil until golden. Add the chicken and ginger. Fry for 5 - 10 minutes.
2) Add the remainder of ingredients (including cooked potatoes) mix well and simmer until chicken is cooked and tender.

Serve this with naan or paratha flatbreads. Tip: Pillsbury makes a great quick-heat paratha that you can find at any indian grocery. Trader Joes makes an AWESOME frozen naan that heats up in about 2-3 mins in the oven!

If you make this, leave me a comment and let me know how it was!

Posted by Taunia @ 8:59 PM